When I first arrived in Vientiane last September I stayed in Villa Lao because it was one of the few guesthouses in the city that I could book online. I anticipated staying here for maybe a week at the most.
But somehow, until now, I haven’t managed to move. Last year I was here for 3 and a half months, this week for 6 weeks.
Through Villa Lao I:
- found my first Lao teacher and a smart, enthusiastic, fun-loving young staff who have helped me practice my slow-moving Lao language skills
- met a huge number of very interesting people and had a huge number of very interesting conversations
- made some genuinely good friends (both Lao and falang)
- fought with mosquitoes and barking dogs
- sheltered from torrential rain and dramatic forked lightening storms
- ate copious fresh mango and (most recently) spicy tofu kebabs and drunk regular Beer Lao
- felt at home
- fell in love with a hammock…